Emma Garness






Emma has always had one foot in the art world: her first job was painting signs and large-scale caricatures before moving into the theatre world as a scenic artist and hand drawing interior elevations for a kitchen company!



Emma commented, “I loved the variety of work, but a lot of theatre work sent me up and down the country which I couldn’t do with a young family, so I had to adapt my approaches.” A chance encounter with Creative ENRG’s Gill Hobson whilst doing a mural piece for Goodwin Development Trust led to a fruitful and supportive engagement with the project.



It was just at the right time, I can’t tell you how important that was … the children had gone to school, and I was trying to find a way to get back into the work I do, while still being there for my family.”



CENRG helped Emma reconnect with the art community, which she’d been detached from for quite a few years and before she knew it, she was exhibiting at Queen’s House Showcase bringing her a huge confidence boost. “I felt supported to really grab that opportunity - I wanted to be there, and to experience it and learn from it like all my other jobs and get as much out of it as possible. The freedom & support to absorb all of the energy from the experience has transferred into other projects I’ve gone into.”



Renewed confidence, energy & connections helped her communicate with the broader arts world and she now makes her living as a full time artist – creating works to commission, exhibiting studio works and working with schools, theatres and community groups. Reflecting on her experience with Creative ENRG she noted, “We’re all in our little bubbles - we all love our little bubbles! - and when I was having the family, I sort of got into a cocoon which I had to change to reconnect with my work and get back out there – I thought, ‘ So how on earth do I change things?’ -  that’s the part Creative ENRG really helped me with!


Artist Website: www.emmagarness.co.uk
For more information about Creative ENRG visit our website





Comments