Sharon Darley


A graduate of Chelsea School of Art, Sharon pursued her passion for art as a freelance practitioner before hanging up her brushes for what she terms ‘a proper job’, following a rich and diverse career as an arts facilitator. After spending almost 10 years running an arts programme at Goodwin Development Trust developing the Estate of the Nation Project (described by Arts Council England as ‘Exemplary’) Sharon felt she needed to get back to her own work, commenting, ‘I’m 52, I’ve got 17 good summers left in me so I’m gonna finish off as I started, and that’s as an artist!



During her time developing initiatives and mentoring artists at Estate of the Nation, she realized: ‘I was the only one not doing any art.’ Having been steeped in arts management, she recognized that becoming an independent artist was a totally different approach and began working with Creative ENRG to get an idea of how to go about launching her own artistic career. She commented ‘When I first joined Creative ENRG I’d done nothing with my own work for years: the demands of supporting others left no time or energy to develop my own practice … but in the last few months, I’ve developed a body of work, I’ve started to build a website, I’m now up on Instagram, I’ve got followers, I’m regularly producing work, I’ve got 3 pieces in the Ferens Open and I’ve got my own studio space. I’m actually getting paid to be an artist now rather than getting paid to be an arts facilitator, so actually, quite a lot’s changed in a really short period of time,’.

Sharon says that the Creative ENRG team helped her focus and gave her ‘a kick up the bum!’. Her practice now centers on a range of approaches from being a facilitator and lead artist in socially engaged and community settings, to producing her own artworks that she markets independently via developing networks & social media. CENRG brought a fresh dimension to her practice where she was supported to critically consider what she’d like to achieve. ‘It’s about having other people to help you so you’re not isolated, spinning around trying to work out what you need to do - knowing what you need to do is one thing, but it’s good to have someone to support you in that ‘doing’. They’ve helped me turn back into an artist!’

Sharon is currently developing several community projects and producing a body of work to show in Leeds, while scoping opportunities to translate her vibrant and colourful artworks into different forms. Exciting times are ahead!




Check out her latest work: www.instagram.com/shaz.darley
For more information about Creative ENRG visit our website





Comments